It also has taken me down memory lane to the days of my own girlhood! I had such a fun childhood with so many great, comical memories. In large part to my best childhood friend ever, Tina Stephanos! Tina and I together, were very 'Daring Girls'! When my family moved to Georgia from Illinois when I was six years old, the house next to us on Autumn Ridge Parkway was empty. But luckily for me, not for long! Shortly after we got there the Stephanos family moved in with their seven year old daughter, Tina. Little did we know when we ventured across the lawn separating our houses to say hello, that it was to be the start of the best of childhood friendships!
There are way too many funny memories to even write down. Each one makes me chuckle at the thought of it. Like the time we invited the entire neighborhood to come watch our impromptu dance extravaganza at my house. I totally chickened out at the last minute though and refused to come out! So poor Tina was left to somersault and twirl for everyone by herself! She kept coming back and saying "Are you gonna come out?!" But I just couldn't, I was paralyzed with fear! Luckily for me she didn't hate me forever for bailing on her!
We just about wore the wheels of our roller skates out racing down the hill we lived on top of, again and again. I was sure each time I would biff it and end up a mangled, bloodied mess at the bottom of the hill. But somehow Tina got me to defy death anyhow and race to the bottom with her. We played carhops, Barbie dolls, dress up, we dodged blowing leaves walking home from the bus stop, we made goofy tape recordings and had silly names for each other like Neener and Syrup. We played endless games of freeze tag on our lawn with the neighborhood boys. We had friendship earrings, friendship t-shirts, you name it, we were totally B.F.F. (Best Friends Forever!)
We also fought over the stupidest stuff. I remember fighting over who got to be "Ariel" from the Little Mermaid when we were playing pretend. Tina said her brown hair was closer to Ariel's red hair so she should be Ariel and I should be Flounder. That was the most absurd thing I'd ever heard, I said my blonde hair was closer to red and I should be Ariel! I can't remember how it was resolved. I think we just gave up and played something else. We also had a fight when we ended up with the same bedspread! (We both had lavender walls, white daybeds, and matching bedspreads!) Now I just see it as a testament to our mutually fabulous taste in room decor! But at the time I was miffed! I had to write a note on my bedroom door to remind myself "You are mad at Tina! Don't go play with her today!" It didn't work, we couldn't stay mad at each other for more than a day.
In fact my loyalty to Tina got me into the most shameful pickle of my entire childhood. There was a girl in Tina's class that was being mean to her. I didn't even know her, all I knew was she was messin' with my friend and we couldn't be having that. My psychotic third grade teacher, Ms. Embry, had given me a brilliant solution to our problem! She had told us during circle time that her sister really hated her boss. Luckily for her and her sister, there were lots of dead rats at her sister's work. So they gathered some dead rats and mailed them to her meany boss. She said it was a great way to get even with people you don't like! (Note my now, very low-expectations of the public school system.) So I told Tina, I had just the way to get back at that meany girl in her class! Unfortunately, at eight and nine years old we were fresh out of access to dead rats. Hmmm, what else could work? We decided dog poop would be an appropriate substitute. So we got a big manila envelope and wrote the meany girl's address on it and then went around the neighborhood collecting crusty, old dog poops out of people's yards. This was going to be great! We didn't want the mail lady to suspect foul play, so after stamping the envelope, we doused it in our favorite, cheap, drugstore perfume 'Verve' and stuffed it in the mailbox and put the flag up and ran! About this time, my dear, intuitive mom noticed the flag was up on our mailbox. Knowing she had not mailed anything that day, she went to investigate. What she found shattered her perception of her sweet, nerdy, four-eyed daughter. Whoops. Tina's mom was called, we were separated, and given a talking to that basically entailed 'Shame, shame, shame on you!' I remember my mom saying "Sarah, imagine how excited that girl would have been to get a package. Then when she opened it to find what you girls put in there, imagine how horrible she would have felt." At that moment, I felt about as big as one of those crusty, old poops. Tina and I learned our lesson and no longer took advice from crazy Ms. Embry, but our adventures continued. Here are just a few old pictures I dug up....
3 comments:
I had so much fun reading about the antics of two young girls growing up. It made me miss my best friend from Junior High who is still to this day my very best friend. I need to go get that book!
(Your teacher should have been fired! Who tells kids that?)
Sarah, for a minute you and Tina were just girls again in my mind. What a fun walk down memory lane!
Girl Power!
What fun stories to share. I loved reading about you and your daring adventures. It reminded me of being young and having fun with Sarah Mayne. Thank you for sharing! How the heck is your mom? I love that lady.
Post a Comment