Tonight I decided that parenthood has changed me. I guess I knew it before, but tonight it really made itself evident. I'm not big on tears. I grew up in a house full of boys where that kind of stuff could get you either pounded or made fun of. So over the years I conditioned myself keep any girly emotions in check. I remember being in labor with Maryn and feeling the pains of childbirth and being too stubborn to release some of the pent up pain and just cry. Over the years, I've softened a bit and am not quite so stubborn about holding my emotions in. But tears still don't come as easily as they do for others. So imagine my surprise tonight when I found that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep a few fat drops from cascading down my cheeks. It was when I realized that Brynna had lost her most treasured friend Coco... for good. Go ahead and make fun of me, I know it's ridiculous. In my mind I know Coco was a stuffed animal, that he's made of cloth and fluff and doesn't feel or love. But he wasn't just a stuffed animal to Brynna and he wasn't that to me either. That tattered little monkey has been by her side constantly since she was three months old. If you look through family albums, where ever there was Brynna, there too was Coco. He was her comfort and her friend and as stupid as it sounds, he had become apart of our family.My friend Laura who I was with when we lost him was so wonderful. She knew we had to do whatever we could to find him or we'd regret it later. So she led us on an exhaustive search for him that went from Woodstock, to Marietta, to Kennesaw, back to Marietta and then back to Woodstock. Can I just tell you what an awesome friend I have?! Not only did she give up her whole day, she used up all her gas, refusing to stop looking until we'd done all we could. We looked in bushes, under cars, scoured playgrounds, tore the car apart, checked offices and called around, I even looked in trashcans, but he was gone. I know Brynna is going to be okay in the long run. But honestly, that little monkey will be sorely missed... by us all.
12 comments:
My first thought when I saw that post was dang, Lauryn looks JUST like Brynna! Then I read the post....how SAD!!!!! No more Coco?? I know what a sad day that is for Brynnie and I almost cried reading this! Poor thing. I hope she finds a replacement soon. (for her sake AND for yours!). I remember as a kid I lost my blanket and you would have thought my world was coming to an end. R.I.P. Coco!!
I feel your pain. Shea was younger than Brynna when she lost Beatrice Bunny in an airport. I saw the future of sentiment flash before my eyes and was broken hearted. We tried to find a psuedo replacement (same texture, but dog instead of bunny), but it wasn't the same. So when she had her 3rd birthday, I took her to Build A Bear. Foxy and Shea have been best buddies. She is growing up though because she lets Ivy have her now. I'm so sorry.
Oh my...I feel devastated for Brynnie and you. That has been one well loved monkey. I will cherish my memories of her with that constant little friend. Oh my goodness... I think I am going to cry too!
I am so sorry Sarah & Brynna.. I know the feeling. Of all days... Cole lost his silky when he was 4 years old and he took that thing with him everywhere. We lost it the first day we got to Germany...as if that isn't a big enough challenge and scare as it is. We lost it from the car to the hotel.. he was very upset.. but I was more sad than him I think. I was angry because I wanted it to got in his memory box forever to show his kids... so sad I know. I am sorry you now are going through this too. Luckily mom made Kade two...because we have lost one already :-( Bye Bye Coco - way to search until you had to stop. Good mom!
I am seriously bummed. Did Brynna cry big time??
this post is a heart breaker. I totally feel for you - just a few minutes ago I was searching the house high and low for Jakob's "bink". The trusty pacifier that he was practically born with. I thought "oh no, this is it. how will he live without it". I was more lucky than you though...I found it in his wagon. I hope Coco is in a nice clean warm new home. :(
Oh that breaks my heart. Poor Brynna and Coco.
oh yeah...I forgot..please tell Laura she is a keeper! I am just crazy about that girl!
Oh no! I too feel for you. We lost "Little" for a while, and I cried, too. And I felt the same way! Hope it doesn't disrupt life too much around there. And what an awesome friend to drive around and help you! Kudos to her.
Oh no! That is SO, so sad. We had a day like that when Hailey left her Heffalump (from Pooh) somewhere at North Point Mall. We drove all the way back from Acworth in search of him and found him happily drinking lemonade at a kid size picnic table at Pottery Barn Kids. After that we went and bought 4 more (they were on clearance for $5 at the Disney Store)just in case. I've asked myself many times what I would do if she had gotten attached to something that just couldn't be replaced. Well, anyways. I am so sorry for you and little Brianna.
I have to say that I never would have thought that a little stuffed animal could meen so much! I have been here for a year and only known the two together!!! The first night I had a hard nights sleep worring about not only my little Brynna, but her mommy!!! It was only when I saw those few rare tears trickle down her (mommy')cheek that I decided that we had to do everything we could before we stopped the hunt! You would have not let me stop if I were in the same position. I would go back and do it all again...I have to say I had more of an attachment to Coco than I thought too!
Thanks for the cookies they are oh so good!!!
I know I would be in the same boat if Amelia ever lost her Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear goes wherever she goes and sleep doesn't happen without him. It is quite tramatic for Amelia when Pooh Bear has to be washed or as we call it "takes a bath." I'm so sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment