Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Burning 'Em Out
I would just like to preface this entry with the fact that I love Maryn's school and I love Maryn's teacher. Yesterday when Maryn got home from school I was looking through her folder at her homework. Yes, that's right folks, Kindergartners have to do homework too. Every night we having blending practice (Maryn has to read lists of words to me), we have to read two books together (which isn't a bad thing), and then on occasion there will be worksheets in addition to that. Yesterday, there was extra worksheets. Maryn's bus comes at 6:55am and she gets home at 2:30pm. That's a long day for a little five year old. Especially when they get very little recess and then to heap three homework assignments on top of that, there's just not a lot of time to be a kid. Yesterday it was too much, her brain was fried. She held her head in her hands and said "I'm just tired of doing all this boring work!" Lately she's been saying a lot that she misses Preschool because she actually had time to play there. I just think it's sad that right from the very beginning the school system puts so much pressure on these teachers to get these excellent test scores. Which translates to heavy workloads for these little kids. I'm all for smart kids, but not if it sucks the joy right out of learning.
When Maryn was starting Preschool, I was researching play-based curriculum versus educational based curriculum, and one study I read said that you can teach a three and four year old these more advanced educational concepts, but in the long run children who are exposed to heavy academics early on burn out on school more quickly than those children who were exposed to play-time, art and developing fine motor skills in the beginning. So it breaks my heart to see that right out of the chute Maryn is feeling that pressure. Her teacher has told me she is one of the smartest kids in the class. I know Maryn has great potential, so it concerns me seeing her feeling this way so early in the game. I remember fourth grade being the year I realized school became stricter. I think it's sad my kid now feels that way her very first year in the school system. Kindergarten now is what 1st and 2nd grade used to be. We were reading the Berenstain Bears book where Sister Bear goes to Kindergarten and there were toys and painting and clay... not anymore, that's Preschool stuff.
Luckily a week from today, we'll be leaving for Oregon where she'll get a good break, play with her cousins, play in the snow (hopefully!), drink hot chocolate and just get to enjoy being a little kid again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
First of all, that is a BEAUTFIUL picture of Maryn. Your girls are all so pretty...just like their Momma. That is such a bummer to hear about the public school system, but I don't doubt it one bit. I've never been a home school fan, however these days I've honestly been thinking it might not be so bad. (Don't worry, I probably won't do it, but it doesn't sound as bad as it used too). I think the trip to Oregon will be a much needed break for all of you guys, and as sad as I am that we won't get to see you, I know you'll have so much fun with the McClean clan!!
I agree sis! When Cole says that enough is enough..I don't push it with him. We do our own thing with him at night for homework.. he does most of his on the computer with some cool reading games. That is why we switched him to multi-age this year - much more interactive and fun learning! He is loving it.
We LOVE our Maryn!!! Hang in there.. You and Justin are amazing parents and she's an awesome kid. And I agree with Kristen, That picture is beautiful !! Hugs and kisses!!!
Do you want to join our (stewarts, vickerys, speidels, slocums?)dream charter school?
There is also virtual online schooling. Maryn would be able to have a nice long recess.......
I taught Kindergarten in public schools for 3 years and I couldn't believe the things I was required to teach them. By the end of the year they can read and write, tell time, count money, add, subtract, etc...just like you said, all things that we learned in 1st and 2nd grade! The new ideas of a certain soon-to-be powerful individual (I won't name any names) about paying teachers based on student achievement certainly isn't going to help matters!
Amen to that! Not to mention the melt downs that occur at home from having to be perfectly behaved at school for 8 hours straight. It's just so much to ask from a 5 year old.
I wish there was more time to play too. Merrick had a really hard time at the beginning of the year but is settling into a routine and is enjoying it more now. Thank goodness for holiday breaks and snow days!
Post a Comment