I first came to love Dove years ago because of their moisturizing soap. Those who know me, know I love to feel soft and you won't find a shower in my house without a bar of the good stuff. But then Dove gave me another reason to love them. Their advertising. Dove is one of the few companies that I'm aware of that encourages women to love themselves and love their bodies. I spent way too many years of my younger days obsessing that I didn't measure up to some untouchable standard. It's something that I still struggle with. But I want something different for my daughters and I know it starts with me. So now I'm taking the Dove challenge and encouraging each woman who reads this to feel great about your own real beauty. Question beauty stereotypes, refuse to use negative language to describe your body, and tell your friends why they are beautiful. I believe when we feel better about ourselves, we are better to those around us! So pass it on!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Campaign For Real Beauty
I first came to love Dove years ago because of their moisturizing soap. Those who know me, know I love to feel soft and you won't find a shower in my house without a bar of the good stuff. But then Dove gave me another reason to love them. Their advertising. Dove is one of the few companies that I'm aware of that encourages women to love themselves and love their bodies. I spent way too many years of my younger days obsessing that I didn't measure up to some untouchable standard. It's something that I still struggle with. But I want something different for my daughters and I know it starts with me. So now I'm taking the Dove challenge and encouraging each woman who reads this to feel great about your own real beauty. Question beauty stereotypes, refuse to use negative language to describe your body, and tell your friends why they are beautiful. I believe when we feel better about ourselves, we are better to those around us! So pass it on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
sarah - good message... i love that about dove, too. and you look absolutely gorgeous in that picture!!!
You do look absolutely gorgeous! I must say, I can't complain. Other than an occasional zit... just can't complain. It kills me to hear my girls talk about being fat or ugly... ummm... hello? So not fat, or ugly! I hate that it starts so young. I tell my girls multiple times a day how beautiful they are. And Dove, yes, I am a Dove lover too. That's all I buy.
Thanks for the message, and I really need to remember that stuff. I read so many magazines, and I do know in reality that they are so air-brushed and made to look imperfect - that it's false. I think it's just the standards that other people seem to have sometimes that bring me down. But I'll try to be better! Very good picture, by the way.
I couldn't agree more, I've been trying to have better self talk. It's hard but it's something everyone should do. you are always posting about the most thought provoking topics. thank you!
You are always beautiful!! And I am with Melysa...I can't stand to hear Sydney say she is fat or ugly! My brother has given her crap for years about having a big butt...she so does NOT have one...anyways she has always remembered that. Not a good thing for little girls.
ps...where'd ya get the shirt?! Love it!
You are beautiful from the inside out!
Yep - I'm fat but I'm beautiful. I look like an ancient fertility goddess. Thousands of years ago I would have had men falling to their knees.
I tell my girls way too much that they are beautiful. Not only because they are, but also because my mother NEVER said that to me when I was growing up. Instead I got “Men don’t marry fat girls – your lips are so ugly, etc” Funny thing is – I look SO much like my mother.
Everything is beautiful - in its on way.
LOVE the shirt on you. I want one
Post a Comment