Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thrown Under the Bus

Last night at dinner I told Maryn and Brynna I needed to talk to them about something. During the car ride to school, one of their friends was telling a story. He described how he walked into a room at a recreational facility once and it was "full of nothing but fat nerds." I didn't feel it was my place to censor him, but I made a mental note to talk to the girls later about it. My exact words later that night were "Please do not say anything to your friend about this. I know his heart is good, it was a mistake and it is not your place to tell your friend what to say anyways. But I hope both of you know that I never want you labeling people like that or describing them in such a mean way." I asked them how they would feel if someone took one look at them and labeled them in such a negative way.

I thought it was a good teaching moment...fast forward to this morning. Justin got home from doing the carpool run this morning and said "Maryn threw you under a VERY heavy bus this morning!" I wondered what she could have said about me? Apparently as soon as she had her friend's attention this morning she said "My mom doesn't like the things you say!" Nice. Maybe she forgot the first request before the conversation was not to say anything to her friend. Turkey. Now I look like the bad guy!

No comments: