One day I was folding laundry and came upon a show on TLC about a lady that had like eighteen kids. It sucked me in and I watched the whole thing in amazement. How their house was run, how she corrected her kids, what they were being taught, how they managed a budget and on and on. Having that many children is never a challenge I would personally undertake. I know full well that I have met my max with the soon-to-be three children I have been blessed with. In fact, I have been skeptical of super-sized families in the past. I wondered how the heck one could care for each child's physical, emotional, and spiritual needs in the ways each child needed and deserved. However, I found myself having a lot of respect for this woman. Yes, she has many, many children, which outwardly may seem irresponsible. But she really seemed to be a good mom with pure and loving motives. She was not just having kids because she's irresponsible, but because she believes in her contributions as a mother.As I was looking around the Internet for a picture of her, I saw a whole bunch of articles ripping her apart. It made me pretty sad. Here is a woman who is so clearly trying her best to do what she believes to be good, just in an unconventional way, and she was being judged so harshly based just on outward appearances. Sure her hair and fashion are a little kooky and her voice a little too syrupy. But there are people out there with one or two kids that are seriously crappy parents. Are crappy parents more acceptable because the number of children they bear are more of the social norm?
Justin showed me a clip from CNN about a seven year old that stole a car and went joy-riding, crashing into several other cars. When interviewed he said it was fun to do bad stuff. He said he didn't feel sorry for endangering people or destroying his grandmother's car. But if he must be punished, he thought maybe he should lose video game privileges for the weekend. Are tons of articles being dedicated to his mothers obvious shortcomings as a parent? No they aren't, because she has one, socially-acceptable, wannabe bad-boy child. Instead we all just shake our heads and say, "Kids these days, what's this world coming to?" and go about our business. Kids these days, oftentimes are indulged and neglected by their parents, left to have society to tell them what's normal and what to believe. If Michelle Duggar, who has dedicated her life to the rearing of healthy, happy, stable children and is proving to be successful at it, wants to keep bringing babies into this world, more power to her. Not many parents can navigate the challenges of having such a large family and do it well. It's definitely not for me, but I hope I can be the type of mother to my three that she is to her eighteen.
10 comments:
I concur counselor.
I totally agree with you. I wish I had about half the patience she does with her kids. She is an amazing woman and not everyone is fit to do what she is doing. Her family seems so happy and full of love, more power to her
I agree whole heartly. Michelle Duggar is an amazing woman. I to have seen and have watched their show. I think it is amazing how she runs her home with everyone pitching in. Plus she home schools on top of it. If there were more woman like her in the world this place would be much better.
I really am going to have to see that show, though I seriously doubt it will inspire me to have more than 3 either! Tell Justin he needs to take some more pics of you so we can see you before Lauryn gets here!
I have seen that show a few times...and if you ask me, they are robots, not humans. Seriously, the kids never seem to talk back, they all wear matching clothes, they are all smiley, they hang out with their parents 24/7 (other than another family of home-schooled kids), etc. I mean I'm sure they have their moments that just aren't captured in the show, but something isn't normal about a family who has 18 kids who all do as they are told. You have to wonder how many of those kids will go off the deep end once they are out in the "real" world and outside of their cozy little family environment.
Honestly, how does Michelle Duggar get away with not having meltdowns or moments where she wants to strangle her kids?
Sorry for all the negativity...I just think the whole show is a little off. I do, however, think Michelle Duggar was blessed with some sort of extra special DNA to have so many babies and keep wanting more.
I sure couldn't do it! One drains me! She kinda makes it look easy, like it's nothing to have 18 kids and a camera crew following around. Like Jon and Cate +8. Those shows just make it look so dang easy...
I would love to learn her techniques! She is an amazing mom and wife that is just, happy, and you can see it in all her children. What a great example! There is nothing better than big families you just take the bad with the good, and the good far out weighs the bad!!!
I kinda agree with Kristen! I have seen the show several times and of course it draws you in, because you can't believe one person would want to have so many kids! I like the fact that they are debt free, teach good morals and values; but when do they act like normal kids? Where's the sassy-ness! The attitude?
I have 2 kids and my 17 month old has attitude! But if they want that many kids, ok, just glad its not me!
Her insides have got to be about shot!
Kristen and Jill you make me laugh! Having two very sassy-at-times children, I would LOVE a sass free home! :)
Three men on horses riding through the forest. A man stops them, he picks up some stones and gives them to the riders saying, "tomorrow you will be both happy and sad". They awoke the next morning, the stones had turned to precious jewels. Happy with the value of the jewels, sad they didn't pick up more.
I support Michelle Duggars 100% including their philosophy and reasoning for having children. People say you have to have a great deal of patience to have so many children. My thinking is that you have a great deal of patience because you have had so many children.
At one time, if you had a large family you were either Catholic or Mormon. Not any more. What's changed?
I'm still of the belief that the only things that I can take with me are my knowledge that I've gained through my choices that I've made and my family relationships. One would think that people with such eternal perspectives would invest in their future differently than people with more limited perspectives.
In old testament days, having many children meant you were highly favored of the Lord.
I love this scripture:
3 Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man (HAPPY THE MAN) that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. (Ps. 127:3- 5)
I don't know how much a "quiver full" is but I'm pretty sure that 18 is better than 10, and that 10 is probably better than 2 or 3.
Post a Comment