Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mutiny = Motivation

Okay, so as I was saying a few days ago, I've been feeling pretty unmotivated lately. My friend Hayley said I was in a funk, and well it was true. Today though, I found my cure in the most unlikely of ways. The girls were absolute turds today. Sorry, there's just not a better way to say it. Sassy, rude and defiant. On top of that, Justin is in Washington D.C., so it was my pleasure to wrangle my little darlings to church flying solo where they're supposed to well... not act like a pack of wild animals.

Now there's something you should know about me. I loathe blatant disrespect. Maryn and Brynna were especially feeling their oats and were dishing out extra helpings of it. They thought they were in control and calling the shots. Ahhh, silly little children. They were quickly reminded that Momma don't play that. So I left church, loaded their sassy pants in the car, and drove home.

When my kids totally cross the line, I use a little method that I learned from Dr. Phil about three years ago. (I don't watch him anymore, but just for this little tidbit, my viewing of him was worth it.) I took my ornery ones in the house and then I silently proceeded to remove every book, toy, picture, lovey and anything else in their room out. Then Brynna's mattress got hauled into the bonus room and they were left separated and with nothing. Cue the weeping and wailing. It may sound extreme, but for our kids it really works. Plus the added bonus is I don't have to yell one bit, the consequences speak for themself. The message to them is loud and clear, naughty choices mean total loss of privileges. The kids then have the opportunity to earn their things back with good behavior. Two lessons I want my kids to learn - naughtiness never was happiness - and every action has a price, good choices yield good rewards, bad choices... well bad ones!

Their closet is now a desolate testament to naughtiness.

I hauled everything into Lauryn's closet where it's in lock down!

After they got over the initial fit of losing their stuff they actually got really excited about good behavior so they could get their things back. Their good behavior after they apologized earned them the right to sleep in the same room tonight, which they were so happy about. (In our house only big girls get to share a room. If you don't act like a big girl, you sleep by yourself!)

Tomorrow, they can work on earning their loveys back, which they also are excited about. The silver lining of all this though, is that disciplining the kids made me get my behind in gear and start moving and organizing stuff. It feels SO GOOD to have their things back in order! The girls and I put up our new word of the week tonight, so hopefully practicing what I'm preaching to them will keep the motivation flowing!

9 comments:

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Oh girl...I spent my entire time at church today with Rocklin in the mother's lounge. I feel your pain! Well, feel it with at least one kid. ha! I hope the girls are better for you tomorrow and that Justin comes home soon! Good thing sweet little Lulu is too young to act up too! :)

Barb McLean said...

Way to go Sarah! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall seeing you in all of your glory, taking back contol from the dynamic duo. Isn't it funny how they love to test you at church because they think they can get away with anything. Those sweet little blondes are way too smart for their own good... and we wouldn't want them any other way!

Swangerlings said...

Your a trooper, Good Job!

hilla said...

You have no idea how timely this was!!! I was JUST having a conversation w/my mom and joe about how to deal with Amaya's defiance, and how I hate it. Ask and ye shall receive! I'm going to give it a whirl. (It does seem like a lot of work for the mom, but I imagine it works wonders, and you don't have to do it very often.) I'm going to try it. As soon as I have a house and things to take away, that is.
Thanks! And hooray for being out of your funk. did I read correctly taht you have a word of the week? You really are organized and motivated. Well done you.

Kristine said...

Hello Nanny 911 in action! How about you move to Germany for 4 months and help me out... I very rarely get to this point.. I think boys are different than girls.. but when I do! I am now going to try this.

Hayley said...

oh sarah, you did my heart good - too often at school, i see kids who never have discipline & then they don't know how to handle things when i discipline them... i think discipline is the best thing for kids... but that's a whole other story. i'm glad this experience helped pull you out of a funk. and i hope you don't see that side of your girls for a very long time! ;)

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME!!! Welcome back my friend welcome back:)

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel! I seem to fly solo at church more times than not. So I LOVED your idea! I am a very stressed momma as well, but im never sure what to do with them when they get to be like that. And trust me they do, but it always seems to be when Garry has been away for a while. I am going to try this when Gar goes to Japan in January. Im sure they will be so shocked they wont know what hit them, and I wont have to yell (or cry). I have really loved your recent posts, That seams to be exactly how I have felt since #3 was born too. It knocked me right on my butt! Thanks again, it's nice to see that i am not alone. (I think the girs room is super cute too, and so organized!)

Kelli said...

Ooooh, good method! I need to use that.