Monday, January 12, 2009

Squeaky Clean

I'm usually a pretty thrifty girl. I get a rush out of the thrill of the hunt, in search of a good bargain. It's painful for me to pay full price for most things. However, there is one area I drew the line on thrift... cleaning supplies. I thought surely they cost what they did because they worked and because it was a complicated formula to make them work. Ahhh, silly me. I have heard chatter lately about homemade cleaning supplies and I thought that surely it must either stink like vinegar or not do the job.

But I ran out of floor cleaner and kitchen cleaner the other day and I figured why not give it a try. I had all the ingredients and thought I may just save a few bucks. So I got on google and looked for some recipes. I tried the one below and was FABULOUSLY impressed with it! All I have to say is takin' it back to the old school is so much more effective than the overpriced stuff in a bottle that doesn't really get the job done! Things cleaned up much easier than commercial cleaners I've used, no streaks or residue on my counters or floors and not a single hint of vinegar smell! If you like you can even add a few drops of any essential oils to make it smell yummy. So here it is folks, my new found cleaning favorito!
Homemade Cleaner:
1 Tbsp. liquid soap
1/4 C. baking soda
2 gal. HOT water
1/4 C. white vinegar
I put 1 gal. of the hot water in my sink, then added soap, soda, and vinegar. (A nice little effervescing action occurred - think homemade volcanoes in grade school) then added one more gallon of hot water in the sink. Worked like a charm! So go on, give it a whirl!

7 comments:

Erica said...

Oh, I am so impressed with your cleaning supplies!! I've been looking for something new to add to my homemade list. Thanks for the recipe!

KatSpy said...

You're so awesome!

Adam Young said...

Can you come to our apartment in Provo and show us actually how that works and give our apartment an entire demonstration?? Thanks Sarah!!! :)

hilla said...

Shut it! I can't believe it worked. If it were anyone else, I'd have my doubts, but you are trust worthy in the cleaning dept. I believe, so I shall try, um, as soon as I have a house to clean. :)
Well done thrifty misty!

Traveling Mama said...

I've always meant to try some of those recipes and for some reason just keep putting it off...this week will be the week! I'm curious... would this be antibacterial? Good for cleaning raw egg off the counter or something like that?

hilla said...

My blog-stalking friend tried your recipe and she said it was great!

Traveling Mama said...

I finally got around to trying this and it's great! I added just a dash of bleach too. Thanks for the tip!