Sunday, July 5, 2009

Grandma & Grandpa McLean

One of the highlights of my trip was getting to see my grandparents again. An entire decade had past since I had seen them last. It also had been almost fourteen years since I had been able to be in their home in Tucson. It was so great, not a single thing had changed! We moved around when I was a kid, so I can't go back to the houses I that was small in. But at Grandma and Grandpa's everything was just as I remembered it. They took Justin and I out to lunch and we just visited and talked, enjoying one anothers' company. I sat there across the table from them wanting to remember every little thing. Loving being there with them, hoping it wouldn't be so long before I could see them again.

In their living room was a drawing of my Dad when he was a boy. I love my grandparents for so many reasons. But I think the reason I love them the most is because they gave me my Dad. They raised him, provided for him and nurtured him. They helped shape the man he is today and for that I am so grateful to them. I love my Dad so much and the older I get, that love only grows. I am so grateful for him and for all he has done for me throughout my entire life and for all he has taught me. Sitting across from my grandparents I was reminded of how grateful I am to be a McLean. And grateful that through my children, the heritage and love that has been given me can continue to live on.

2 comments:

hilla said...

Cute pic! Isn't it crazy that nothing has changed in 14 years?! If it aint broke...
Your dad is pretty great. I'm glad they gave you him too!

Barb McLean said...

hi Sugar! This past week we went to Denmark and visited the town where Grandma McLean's grandfather was born, Sonderho, Denmark on the island of Fano. It was so thrilling to walk the streets where he was born in this quaint little village where the houses have stood for 100's of years. We walked around the only church on the island where he was probably christened and worshipped as a boy. The roof's are still made of thatch, and everywhere we went we were laughing because the people all looked like Dad! We found his peep's! On our ferry ride back to the mainland there was a man that could have been uncle Pete's twin. It was such a wonderful trip... I can't wait to tell you all about it! Miss you girlie!