I have a picture that my dear friend Amber gave me after Maryn was born. I had it framed and it now sits on my dresser. It is a picture of Christ holding an infant and below it it says, "Out of My arms and into yours, I place this spirit into your care. Hold this little one extra close, a part of Heaven lingers there." I love it because it reminds that I am a bearer of one of the most sacred callings on Earth, and that is being a mother. Most days I feel inadequate of being responsible for the rearing of these special spirits that He has given to me. But the thing that brings me the most peace and most comfort is to know that He has not sent me here to do this alone.
I hope some of the quotes brought to me by angels unaware will ring true to you as well.
My friend Marcey had this on her blog and I loved it. Words of our dear, beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, who just passed away a few days ago at the age of 97. I will always love and appreciate his sweet sense of humor and optimism. You could not listen to President Hinckley speak and not feel uplifted and renewed. I'm thankful for his time on this Earth and his service to the Lord...
"I feel the need to invite women everywhere to rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. I hope that you will not try to set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. I hope you will simply do what you can do in the best way you know. If you do so, you will witness miracles."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
My sweet friend Joice brought me this one when she came to visit me last Friday. I always feel at peace after talking to Joice. She is an amazing woman with wonderful insight...
"I testify that He is the perfect example and leader, not asking us to do what He has not done, not asking us to endure what He has not endured, giving us enough, but not more than we can manage. I thank Him who did everything perfectly, for sharing His precious work with those of us who then do it so imperfectly." -Elder Neal A. Maxwell Dec. 2007 Ensign
Thanks also to Laura and Melysa for our playground chats. It's nice that I'm not alone in everything from balancing the family grocery budget to figuring out what's the best way to deal with the crazy antics of kids. There is power (and sanity) in numbers. I'm blessed to have such wonderful women around me!
7 comments:
I am so glad that I found you again! I just wish we could actually play and not just pass notes.
Sarah, one of my favorite things about you is that you have a thankful heart. Gratitude can change the way we look at everything, and your sweet baby is going to be blessed to have such a wonderful mommy and family. See you saturday...can't wait!
What a wonderful post! Thanks for writing such uplifting things about motherhood. Too often I go to bed thinking I was a terrible mother and need to do so much better. I guess the striving to do better each day is what gets us through! Thankfully Heavenly Father knows we aren't perfect, fogives us our shortcomings, and helps us to do better!
What an awesome post! Good timing...I've spent a lot of time feeling down lately since my precious baby boy was born and your post has reminded me to focus on the positive and that Heavenly Father does not leave us on our own to do anything! Thanks for the reminder that I CAN do this! I love and miss you!
Just checked my email and saw you updated your blog. I was excited to see any new news you might have. I was humbled by your gratitude and kind words. Thank you for your friendship and shining example of a mother. You will definitely be able to give your unborn child, and your two sweet girls what they need: a loving family; a gospel-centered home; and awareness of the things that matter most in life. You're awesome. Your family is awesome. Can't wait to find out what you're having!!! Thanks for being my friend. Love you!
Sarah, you have always been an amazing person! You are a wonderful and fun mom to your girls and you will be to baby #3 too! We are all always striving to be the best parent we can be, but at the end of the day we have to remember that God is in control and we have to let Him direct our steps (and the lives of our children.) I pray for my kids daily and continually find myself on my knees before God asking Him to be with my kids and teach them about who He is (in spite of me!!) LOL!
I love this blog! Who among us has not felt inadequate as a mother?! Thank goodness for the gospel to guide us, and more importantly to help us understand the atonement in all it's facets. Thanks for your insight.
Post a Comment