Friday, October 31, 2008

When I Grow Up...

It has been Red Ribbon Week at Maryn's school. Which basically means it's the week where they tell kids to stay away from drugs and build goals for themselves and their futures. On Tuesday the kids were supposed to dress up as what they want to be when they grow up. If you know Maryn, you already know what that is, a veterinarian of course! I was so excited for her to get to dress up as a vet, since she is ALWAYS talking about it, that I did something a little crazy. Folks, I sewed. Just so you know, I don't sew. I've made my kids baby blankets and some little pillows, but that's about the extent of my forays into the world of sewing. But after pricing doctor's jackets online and feeling they were ridiculously overpriced and in a moment of over ambition I went a grabbed an old white sheet out of the linen closet, a tape measure and Maryn and started cutting away. The end result, a coat that actually resembled what I wanted it to! Miracles do happen! In the picture it looks bunched up on one side because of how she was holding Princess Pup, but it really was straight, I promise! She makes a pretty cute, little vet don't you think?! I hope Maryn is never afraid to work hard for the things she wants in life, whether that's being a vet or anything else. I sure do love that kid and am so proud of her.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maryn looks adorable and Sarah you did a mighty fine job sewing the lab coat and without a pattern!! I am SO impressed..You are amazing. Maryn will be a great Vet .... cuz those of us who know her, knows Maryn will get it if that's what she wants!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way I would love a copy of this picture!!!

Erica said...

Oh, I am extremely impressed! You are amazing. Talk about a good example to follow...

Tracy E said...

Sewing!!!! Wow I'm impressed! I use to sew Megan's and Connor's costumes. Infact, I was looking at a picture last night of the wedding dress I made her for on Halloween when she was 4. Lucky for her (and definetly by her choice) I didn't sew her real wedding dress this year! Costumes are so much fun, but poor Ansley, my sewing ambitions are behind me. We went LAST minute yesterday to CVS and found her costume 40% off. The poor last child of our family!!! But she's excited to be Sharpay, and you gotta love the bargain. Sometimes being late pays off.

Tracy E said...

By the way Maryn looks so cute.

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Wow, Sarah, you just whipped that lab coat up? You're definatly a Martha-in-training!! That's a super cute picture of Maryn! She looks so grown up, I can't even believe it! I miss that sweet little girl.

KatSpy said...

Yeah Sarah! I LOVE sewing costumes and HATE paying for patterns. Very nice. I'm impressed.

Barb McLean said...

I can just see Maryn as a vet someday! Sarah... you have some "fierce" skiils! (see you corrupted me with project runway)Is that buttons I see on the jacket as well? amazing! I love the great emphasis Maryn school is having to think big, and plan for excellence early. With our little peanut all things are possible!

Cathleen said...

She'll be the cutest Vet that's for sure! The animals will be lining up around the block to see her.

Anonymous said...

I too am so impressed! Who just takes out their sewing machine and sews a lab coat...oh that would be Sarah Young!