I am catching this Sunday's post a little late in the day. It's 9:00 pm and we just got home a short while ago. We decided to make an impromptu trip up to North Carolina to be with our friends, the Adamson's, for their son Jake's baptism. My religion differs from others in the fact that in my faith, you are not baptized as a baby. Rather you wait until you are eight years old or older. Why? It's because we believe that babies and young children are born into this world without sin. Therefore, they have no need to be cleansed of any sins, since they are unable to intentionally commit any. We believe it was revealed by our Father in Heaven, that the age of eight is when a person is old enough to be accountable for their actions and decisions. Jake recently turned eight and made the choice to be baptized by immersion after Jesus Christ's example.
The Adamson's were the first friends we made when Justin and I moved back to Georgia together. Amber was pregnant with Jake at that time. We have grown to love them like family. (In fact, Maryn insists that they are her cousins!) It is so wild to me to think how quickly these past eight years have flown by. Jake has gone from a tiny baby to being the full grown boy he is now. I am so proud of him and the good kid that he is. We gave him a little journal as a baptism gift. On the front page I told him about how I remember the day I was baptized twenty years ago. And how that choice I made as a young, eight year old girl to follow Christ's example and be baptized a member of His true church, has been one that has blessed my life every day since then. I know that as Jake continues to try to pattern his life after our Savior's, he to will find his life richly blessed.
3 comments:
as sweet Sarah... i love watching kid make the decision to get baptized. glad you had a great weekend with your friends.
not as sweet. i meant to say "ah sweet"
Aren't we so lucky?! I feel so thankful to have the knowledge of baptism. I too am right there with your friends about to embark on that journey after the summer. It really has flown by in a flash. I am so happy for her to be able to choose this for herself, but in honesty in is a little saddening for me to know that trials lay ahead and that as her mother I can only do so much, but now she will be responsible for her own actions.
Post a Comment