Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Series: Helping Hands

Yesterday Maryn, Brynna and I had the opportunity to go and participate in a Service Project coordinated by our Church throughout the entire Southeast. In different communities throughout the South, the goal was to get 30,000 volunteers out to perform service for our towns, communities and for people of other faiths. When the girls woke up and I told them what we were going to do, they felt grouchy about it and didn't want to go. But we got dressed and headed out the door anyways. We met up at our chapel with others before we split up to the different locations where the service projects were being held. Maryn and Brynna saw the other children that had come with their families to help in the work too. This helped them shed the grumpies and start to get excited. We headed to one of the locations in downtown Woodstock to help in the clean-up effort on Main Street. The girls and I signed in and donned our bright orange, reflective vests and went about collecting trash from the streets and gutters. The Square was teeming with members of our church, planting flowers, painting, and picking up trash. It felt so good to be working with like-minded people for the benefit of others. By the time we left the girls agreed that they had indeed had a good time.

I was thankful for the opportunity to show them that when we help others our happiness improves. I am grateful for Jesus Christ, who set the ultimate example of a life spent doing dedicated service. I know as we try to follow His example and take into our hearts the words He said in John 13:35, which are, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." we will find not only the lives of those whom we willingly serve blessed, but we will find our own lives and families are blessed as well.

3 comments:

Traveling Mama said...

I think it's awesome to teach kids from when they are little about serving others and following Christ's example. I hope our kids will learn some of those values as well!

Barb McLean said...

I'm glad the girls were able to get into the spirit of serving! Your day sounded fun, and a memory maker too. When we lived in Marietta we use get together with the Catholic church and serve dinner to the homeless. It was a great experience that gave me a greater appreciation for my own blessings, but the best part of it was the love I could feel the Savior had for those who were suffering. It was tangible... I went to help others and came home being the one taught a valuable lesson. I hope you and your girls will have many more opportunities like this in the future!

Swangerlings said...

Good job!