Some nights the bedtime routine just doesn't work as well as others. Tonight we read stories and had plenty of snuggles and conversation. So I thought they'd be good to go to sleep. But as soon as I turned off the light and left the room... click, the light went right back on, the books came out and the conversations started. Since it's only 8:30 and the weekend, I thought I'd go ahead and let them read for a bit. I loved doing that when I was little too. I'd fall asleep with my glasses on and wake up with the lights in my eyes, my books collapsed around me and my glasses smashed into the side of my head. But oh, sweet, wonderful books! They were worth it! The only difference with my kids is, I didn't talk at night, since I didn't have a sister to share a room with. But Maryn and Brynna do. So I sat down at my computer which is in the next room over from theirs and was listening to them talk. Maryn said to Brynna, "You know Brynna, I just was wondering about Grandma McLean, oh, haha, I mean my GREAT Grandma McLean!" Then she asked "Do you know any stories about her? Mom told me some, but I just can't remember now."
At this point I asked her what she was wondering about and Maryn asked if I would come back in and tell me about her. So I went and got the photo album out and showed them pictures of Great Grandma and Grandpa McLean and told them a few little stories. Which they loved. They know Nana says that my hands look just like hers. They know that Grandma McLean was a nurse when she was younger. They know that she lives in Arizona and she still lives in the same house I used to visit when I was a little girl. They know Grandma McLean got a Gameboy for her birthday one year and LOVED to play it. (They thought that was pretty funny!)
The last time I saw my grandparents was nine and a half years ago at my wedding. It breaks my heart that none on my kids are able to be near any of their great-grandparents. Maryn has always been sensitive to the preceding generations. When Grandma and Grandpa Gibson (Justin's grandparents) lived here, she loved to visit and feed the horses with Grandpa. I remember one Sunday when she was about 18 months old, Grandpa Gibson was feeling sad and low and Maryn sensed it and went up and wrapped her arms around his neck and just quietly hugged him. It warms my heart when she'll randomly tell me she wants to write Nana Mary a letter or like tonight wants to hear stories about Great Grandma McLean.
I can't imagine a better gift than to have a book full of things to tell my children about their family roots. Anything from silly stories or facts to handwriting and pictures. I know who I am today is a direct result of generations that went before me. My children have a wonderful heritage and I hope as they grow, they will continue to wonder and seek the fulfillment of that connection.
2 comments:
That is so sweet, and amazing that at such a young age she is interested in her great grandma! It is such a great comfort knowing where you came from and those that preceded you! Way to be on hand with pictures and stories!
Dad and I will have to come up with our very favorite stories, and then write them down for the girls to have. I read your blog to Nana Mary this morning and she was touched by Maryn's desire to want to know her Gr. grandma's! Their lives really are amazing!
Post a Comment