Toys are my nemesis bent on destroying me. Will they never go away? Will they ever actually be picked up and STAY picked up?! Sigh. If Erma Bombeck were still alive I'm sure she would tell me to savor and love each little mess because all too soon the day will come when there are no messes left to pick up. Sorry Erma, I just don't have it in me. I want the toys gone. Now.
Okay, okay. Just read my favorite Erma quote... and I've been put in my place. I have to say I'll take the messes if it means I get to be a mother. To see my children play, imagine and develop their minds. I wouldn't give back hearing them talk in British accents to each other like proper ladies over a tea party. Or searching for a hair tie or bow, which are supposed to be properly stowed in color coordinated containers in the hairbucket, but instead have become a collar for one of the five million stuffed animals in this house (each of which has a name and is seriously loved). I wouldn't give up every sash, ribbon, shoelace or rope tied up and leashed on or around stuffed animals necks or hooked to baskets in a crude pulley system to get stuff from the downstairs to the upstairs, if it meant I couldn't have my children. I wouldn't give up the explosion of dress up clothes or the books or the stickers stuck to walls and tables or the drawings or trinkets. No, I'll keep them all and feel so lucky to be a mom...but I think I still would like a housekeeper!
6 comments:
Toys make me a little beserk at times, but my mother in me can't part with them. Way to hang in there. We need to talk about some housekeeping ideas. ;o)
I understand. I clean a room only to turn my back and find that it has been imploded upon by one little girl. I can never understand how she can make such a big mess in such a short time. When I ask Amelia to clean up, her response, "No thank you." At least she is polite.
Toys are the BANE of my existence! My solution for Colin's toys have been bins. While yes, I hate seeing the bins sitting there (because they look like clutter) I don't find it too horrible as (1) the toys are put away at night and (2) it will only be a little bit longer before they can go in his room. As for the girls, they have marked bins for their toys and they just refuse to put them away. So, they lost them. Too bad, so sad!
I love it! I was just thinking last night how much I enjoy night time clean-up. Too bad Kurt was on call so it meant I didn't cook a real dinner! If you cook, I'll clean =) I am sure as they grow, so do the messes and I may not enjoy the clean-up nearly as much! However, I love that quote and enjoyed your thoughts on it even more.
I know what you mean! I made a policy from the time they were young that they had to pick up their messes before they went to bed. Hailey and Parker both do it without being asked now. Parker is very particular about everything being in it's place before he will go to bed! Gotta love it! Personally,I would love to just have a dishwasher again... the cups alone fill half the sink!
Love those wake up calls! (But still hate the messes! :) I'm with you on the house keeper!)
Post a Comment