
Tonight I went to the Young Women's General Broadcast at the chapel. As I was sitting there I just kept thinking, I'm so grateful I have daughters. Before I had kids, I was for some reason convinced that I would be a better mother to boys. Maybe because I grew up with brothers and therefore did not relate to girls? But it's funny how the Lord knows what is best for us. I knew before tonight that I loved being a mom to my daughters. But sitting there listening to the inspired counsel given to the Young Women of the church tonight, reconfirmed it. It is without a doubt a tough world out there. Justin laughs at me and says I'm such a worry-wart, but there are so many things for a parent to worry about. Peer influence, making wise choices, kids growing up too fast, instilling gratitude and work ethic and service to others. The list could go on. And in a world where the examples of everything that can go wrong with a young person are so prevalent, it was so refreshing to sit among teenage girls who have committed their lives to trying to do it right. By staying close to their Savior and trying to be true to their light within. It helped me realize that not only can raising good girls in today's day and age be possible. But the journey made in teaching them the things they need to know to be successful and stay close to the Lord in such a crazy time, is truly a blessing. It made me so grateful for each one of my girls. As much as I wish they could stay little forever, I know they will grow up. But it calms a mothers soul to know that the Lord has and will provide them with every needful thing to live up to their divine potential. I'm so grateful for that. And I'm so grateful that He saw fit to bless me to be a mother of daughters.
7 comments:
Sorry, I had to delete my first comment for a major typo.
I think you're right about the Lord knowing what is best for us. I feel the same way about my boys that you do about your girls (who are beyond darling by the way). Even though I cried each time the ultrasound indicated the Y chromosome, I think now that I wouldn't know what to do with a girl and I'm so grateful for my boys.
And wasn't that such a great broadcast! I loved the video presentation about the swimsuit question. How great to encourage the girls experiment with their own answers.
I can't believe that I only have two more years and I will be attending the broadcasts with Allie and then on for many years to come with Morgan and Savannah! I never imagined being the mother of little girls (I'm sure because of all those brothers)but everyday I am so grateful that I am blessed to me their momma! Allie's teacher recently sent home a copy of an essay that she had to write for class with an attached note that said for those days that you don't feel like its worth it. Allie's paper was about what she wanted to be when she grows up and why. She said she wants to be JUST a mom like her mom. The tears freely came as I read it and thought how grateful I am that I am JUST a mom and the power and influence I can and do have for good by instilling in my girls a remembrance of who they truly are and the divine qualities that they have. I am often overwhelmed when I look at the world around us but then you go to a broadcast and you are feeled with such hope. I'm with you I love being the mother of little girls!
I had the opportunity to watch 7 kids at my home for four days this past weekend. I had to do a 5 year old girl's hair for her everyday. Let's just say for everyone's sake - thank heaven for little boys! How do y'all do this? I think that girls are so cute - and that is good, because one day they will marry my boys :-)
Cole asked today if Maryn could be his girlfriend.... ugghhh - we had a lot to talk about on the walk home from the bus. No kissing cousins in this family ;-)
There really is something wonderful about daughters. I love my sons so much too and am grateful to have been blessed with both. Girls are just really different though. I look forward to being life long friends with them. They enjoy hanging out with me, cooking, shopping, manicures, etc.I'm so proud of my girls and the choices they make on a regular basis.
I will always be thankful that even though Heavenly Father only blessed me with one daughter, He gave me the most beautiful pearl! As I have sat here reading all your blogs I have been filled with awe and wonder that my daughter has grown into such an AMAZING woman. I love the way your brain and heart works Sarah!
It really is amazing how Heavenly Father knows best who to send to us. Bryce is convinced we were meant for only boys, but I hold out hope for a daughter or two. And from what I've read, you are the perfect mother for those daughters!
Post a Comment