Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thankfully Safe

Well, we thought the drama of the tornadoes last night in downtown were behind us. Boy were we wrong. We woke up in the middle of the night to our weather alert radio going off. We tried to go back to sleep as thunder boomed and lightning flashed outside our window. Around 8:30 am, Justin left to go cover a tournament south of Atlanta. While he's been gone, the girls and I have had to hunker down in the basement on two different occasions while several severe weather systems with tornadoes passed right by us. Then just when we thought it was over, the sirens went off again and the sky opened up and hit us with a hailstorm. Justin called after it had cleared here and said that it was hailing where he was about an hour away. Ahhh, lovely weather we're having, don't you think? We truly do count ourselves blessed though to be safe and sound, since two people in a neighboring county lost their lives today.

9 comments:

eric and girls said...

Those pictures are unbelievable. Hazel Dell had a tornado a couple months back, it came out of the blue. But it is nothing what you guys go through down there. I am happy to hear you guys are all safe and sound

Renee said...

I am glad to share the picture. We are thankful that is all we had to go through. Our prayers are with those who lost loved ones and their lives turned upside down.

Anonymous said...

Now that is a hail ball, I know that the first thing that should not be going through my mind is...this is going to be a great blog! But it was!

Erica said...

So glad to hear you are safe. We watched the coverage on CNN, and it's so sad to see beautiful Atlanta in such a mess! - I fully expected to see Justin somewhere on the news last night during the game "break" for the tornado...

Kristine said...

Did the hail cause any damage to your house or cars? That was the first thing that I thought of. I don't know how it couldn't being the size of a golf ball. I am so glad you are all safe. We didn't hear about it all the way over here, but so glad all is well.

Melanie Rossi said...

That is crazy. I'm sure it wasn't fun having Justin gone!

Barb McLean said...

Georgia is a real roller coaster ride with weather. We are all so thankful that Justin was not caught in the storm, and that you are all safe. Some of the pictures on the news were pretty scary, but we thought you had dodged the bullet. Was that hail in your yard? Better have the roof checked again...... uff-dah!

Traveling Mama said...

The weather in Atlanta really is crazy. We had to have our roof replaced and a ton of damage repaired on our car in 2006. Hopefully you guys won't have to deal with anything like that, but thank goodness for insurance!

Lindsey said...

Holy Cow! That was crazy big! Can you imagine if you were outside in that? I am thankful I live somewhere that we just don't have to deal with stuff like that! Hope the worst has past!