Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March Madness Baby!

Growing up I never really played sports, besides a couple years of volleyball in middle school and a failed attempt at Cross Country. My brothers all played sports, but I don't remember them being obsessed with a certain team or player. I never once remember my Dad sitting down to watch a game on the boob tube. So I never really got the whole sports mania thing... and then I married into a family full of boys that eat, drink, and sleep sports. This includes my hubby, Justin. He obviously loves basketball, since he has chosen to make a professional career out of knowing everything about it. (Justin is a National Basketball Recruiting Analyst for Rivals.com.)

So, being the non-sports loving girl that I have previously been and actually still considered myself to be, it's been surprising to me when I have had certain thought processes passing through my brain. For instance, how sad I will be when Dickie V. dies. Truly, college basketball will never be the same without his raspy enthusiasm. Or how I got kind of ticked when Dan Patrick stopped doing the funny interviews in the back of ESPN the magazine. I still read his replacement, Kenny Mayne, but I don't have to like it. It's just not the same. Or how I can now watch 'Sportscenter' and 'Around the Horn' without my eyes absolutely glazing over. It would seem that Justin has had an affect on me after all. Weird, huh?

So when he suggested that I fill out a bracket for March Madness this year, I was actually kind of excited to oblige! Again, weird. I figure it's going to be on our t.v. non-stop, I might as well have a vested interest in it right? So, I filled it out and showed it to Justin. He said he thought I actually did a pretty good job! Let me break down how I decided my Final Four, let's just say there is some kooky, girlie reasoning, but hey if it works, it works...

Memphis will play UCLA. Why Memphis? I heard some old dinosaur on ESPN going on and on about how he thought Memphis would take it all. Hmmm, I'd never heard much of anything about them. So I did a little more probing and found out that they actually have a pretty good team that can really score. But they're all kinda punks, and Sarah no-likey punks. Then there's UCLA who has Kevin Love and awesome defense. Let me tell you my thoughts on Kevin Love though... I hate his stupid facial hair. Not a good look for anyone really, but it especially doesn't work well for white boys. However, he is from Oregon, which is where my family is from. So I will turn a blind eye to that horrible mess on his face and give him and his team the win over the Memphis.
This is not a laughing matter Mr. Love, that's a seriously bad boy-band beard.

Then there's the other side...

North Carolina will play Kansas. North Carolina because let's face it, everyone obsesses over Tyler Hansbrough. All I hear about is how he's a real 'special' kid. I bet Coach K wishes he had him since he likes 'special' kids so much. Also, like I said before, I hate punks. So I'll give a hard-working, down-to-earth kid a shot in my bracket. And even though Roy Williams laughed at Justin when he fell and twisted his ankle once, I'll give him credit for having a good, hard-working team.

"Haha! Did anyone see that big boy fall down?!"
Laugh it up, Chuckles. Nobody messes with my man.


Now, Kansas. Okay, here's where my really psychotic, nonsense, girlie logic comes in. I have always had an affinity to the Jayhawks because I just love their stinkin' cute mascot. I mean really, he's adorable. I call them my little Cherrypickers, because can't you just picture that little Jayhawk in the palm of your hand with a little cherry in his mouth? I want him for a pet. Okay, so maybe you now will not continue reading the rest of my post because I've proven myself a complete and utter moron. HOWEVER, in addition to my love for their mascot, they have a great team too. So my loyalties lie with my Cherrypickers to beat North Carolina (Who's laughing now Roy? That's what I thought.) and then finish the spanking by beating UCLA.

So there you have it, insight into my insanity. But hey, it just might work. The madness starts tomorrow, so tune in and see what happens!

Oh, and my friend Erin requested an updated belly shot of my preggy-self. Ask and you shall receive, my little Lemonita!

Me, preggers at the 24 weeks mark.

6 comments:

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

OK, first of all, you are so darn cute with your little belly! And second...what the....Justin has REALLY gotten to you!!!!!! Looks like you need a girly vacation!! We'll have to get in some good shopping days and pedicures when I'm in town so you remember your girly roots! (I'll be cheering for you to win the bracket though because how fun will that be if you beat Justin!! HAHA)

Anonymous said...

OK, besides that you look just so darling carrying that next little bambino.... Let's just say I am danged impressed with your new found b.ball knowledge !! You go girl. O.K. now we have to work on Megan with her "skills" !!!

Sarah Young said...

Justin loves to remind me how he's surrounded by women in this house...but at least I'm TRYING to keep it real for him, right?!

Renee said...

I am so impressed!!!! I guess you need to throw Justin a bone or two every now and then, from all of you sweet girls in the household. You sure did put a lot of preparation into your picks. Way to go. By the way, Sarah you look FANTASTIC!!!!!

Lindsey said...

You are the cutest pregnant girl ever. I am jealous! We love March Madness too but we just cut up all that teams and put them in a hat and draw out our teams. Then we see who wins the "pot". It makes it fun, even if you don't know a darn thing about the teams (Which I don't!)

Anonymous said...

You cute little pregnant woman!