
For those of you who have wanted to do a garden but have hesitated, let me recommend
Square Foot Gardening. You do NOT need a lot of space or good existing soil. Which is nice, because I'm not doing so good in either of those departments! I put a garden off for so long because my yard is so small and on a slant. But, I implemented the SFG techniques and my little plants are already happily growing and it's been less than a week! It works well for apartment patios, small spaces, heck you can even do an elevated box if you are worried about keeping the animals out! You are able to grow a wide variety of stuff in a small space. And the author Mel Bartholomew gives tips on how to garden on the cheap! The lumber for my box was about $10 which my friendly Lowe's associate happily cut to size for me, free of charge. My friend Melysa gave me some of her special 'Mel's Mix' dirt, but I ran out and so I bought some of a similar formula that my friend Laura recommended. It's found at Lowe's and I have been fabulously impressed with it.

Even better, some of the bags of the Jungle Growth soil I needed were damaged. If you talk to an associate, they will give you damaged bags for 50% off. So my soil also ended up running me about $12. Not to shabby, eh?! So if you've thought about a garden, check out the Square Foot Gardening website or go to your local library and check out the book! I give it two Green Thumbs (in the making) up!
2 comments:
Sarah, you inspired me. I am planting one tomato plant !!! I've had a garden before but it's been awhile so for now I'll start slow, very slow and continue loving my flower " garden" (in pots!).
Your dad harvested some oregano today and is drying it right now. We bought our tomato plants today, and also basil... this year we are also planting 2 blueberry bushes. We also do raised bed garden boxes and hooked them up to the sprinkler system so that we dont forget to water. I must admit this is your dad's baby but I do enjoy the fruits of his labor... I also make some fabulous pesto sauce out of the fresh basil that freezes well. Happy gardening Sis!
Post a Comment