Friday, March 28, 2008
The Big Mac Did It...
Tonight the girls and I hung out with Tracy and Ansley Ensign. The last time we were together we had promised the kids ice cream, but it didn't work out. So Tracy and I were making good on our promise and took the girls to McDonald's to grab an ice cream cone. It was around dinner time and so we decided to go ahead and eat dinner while we were there. Truthfully, I'm not much of a fast food girl besides the occasional Chick-fil-A or even less often Taco Bell run. So when Tracy asked what I wanted to order, I didn't know because I really don't frequent McDonald's. So I said I would just have what she was having. People, tonight I ate my first Big Mac Value Meal. I understand why millions of people eat Big Macs. It was delicious and I ate every bite, including fries and a Fruitopia. But can I just tell you how hard that was for me.
I became about 50 lbs. overweight my last couple years of high school. I hated myself, I hated the way I looked and felt, I hated that time of my life. I worked really hard and lost the weight and have since adopted a much healthier lifestyle and outlook on food. I like snacks and treats as much as anyone, but it's not as hard for me to say 'when' anymore, because I have that nagging reminder in the back of my brain about how miserable I was when I misused food. So tonight, after I finished that Big Mac I just felt sick, because I felt like I had absolutely abused my body. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it's just funny to me that something so simple could trigger something so strongly in my brain. Feeling big from being pregnant and then eating a notoriously unhealthy meal took me back to how I felt as a teenager. I felt myself starting to panic, feeling trapped in my body. I had to remind myself that I'm not that person anymore. I'm in control of my life, my body, and my health. It's crazy to me how everyone has their own little demons that chase them, tonight mine was a Big Mac.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I wish I could train my body in the same way. It's my biggest struggle. My goal is to some day feel the way you do, and just be sick at the idea of food like that. It's just literally retraining the way your brain works and what your body expects. I'm sorry you felt sick, but good for you that you have such a visceral reaction that can keep you in check.
Isn't it funny how food can really mess with your mind. I think you look amazing! I am glad that you are in a place where you love your body enough to give it what it needs not what your mind wants, which more often than not are two very different things. Also today I bragged to my friend Wes, who knows all things sports related about Justin and his job. Honestly I didn't really know what I was talking about but he was sure impressed. He kept say and you know this guy?? Yep it's my friends husband. that is so cool, seriously that is really cool. Did you know his job was so cool?
That is amazing that your mind is able to take you right back to those same feelings, just like that. Way to appreciate it!!! That is amazing that you were able to loose that weight, first of all I can't even imagine you big and second that you truly don't like the whole fast food thing! I need to get to that point...I want to get to that point,you girl are an inspiration!!!
I have to tell you that I only remember you as the skinny beautiful woman that you are now. I don't have any memories of you overweight in high school. But I think that your upbeat, endearing personality made you who you were (and are). Your girls are darling and congrats on your upcoming arrival! It's so fun to have a way to connect again. I hope you don't mind me putting a link to your page from mine! Thanks, Courtney (Carlson) Richardson
Sarah I love reading your blogs. This one really inspired me and gave me some motivation. After having my kids I was lugging around about 40 pounds I didn't need nor did I want it. So I bagan that path to lose weight, had my tonsils removed, went through a rough patch in life and before I knew it the weight was gone and then some. Some of that weight has come back thanks to my unhealthy choices. But it's time to get back into that mind set and do something about it.
Funny story about that movie...when Daniel and Kevin watched it, Daniel totally puked watching the main character puke! That kid can puke at the drop of a hat.
On a serious note, it's awesome how you lost weight and kept it off. Keeping it off is the biggest challenge! Well, losing it is too. In fact, the whole darn idea of weight is a challenge!
I don't remember you having problems with your weight and we dated brothers together!! I did not do to well with food while pregnant with Zander...I had Burgerville way too often and therefore I had an 11 lb baby. Too much fast food equals babies that are too big!! You look fabulous now and you always have!!
OK, this totally hit home! Glad that you were able to figure things out early on, it took me into my thirties! After seeing that documentary I can probably count on one hand how many times we have eaten at McDonalds. In fact once when Carl was out of town and in a crunch I took the kids through the drive thru and called Carl later upset and told him I was so sorry that I had broken the Word of Wisdom! :) Its a big joke at our house but that is truly how felt. You look wonderful!
Sorry... it is hard to type and eat a big mac at the same time :-)
Thanks for reminding me to do better!
Tracy loves her Big Macs, though you wouldn't know to look at her....me, now that's a different story!
I have many fond memories of play dates at McDonalds with Tracy and the kids over the years. I remember when Megan was small enough to be playing in the tubes and ball pits....boy I'm getting old!
Post a Comment