Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

I'm not quite sure why, but I just love St. Pattie's Day. Being the faithful Mormon girl that I am, it's not like I like it for the mass consumption of adult beverages. My house isn't covered in green shamrock decorations, in fact I don't own a single one. I don't even have a ton of Irish heritage. However, I still love it. It's just fun!

We all woke up this morning and made sure to put on our green, so that we wouldn't become victims of tiny, leprechaun pinches. After Maryn came home from school, Justin and the girls did an Irish jig in the kitchen before lunch. And I gave Justin a funny card. But other than that, it was a pretty low key St. Pattie's Day.

That was until right before the girl's woke up from their nap. Justin was down in the basement and swore he saw a leprechaun sneaking around! :) So when the girls woke up and while I was working on dinner, he took them down to the basement for a leprechaun hunt. Unfortunately though, they didn't find him. He was just too quick! So we figured our little Irish visitor had sneaked out of the house while we weren't looking.

While I was waiting for my chicken rolls to come out of the oven, I sat down on the couch with the girls for a minute. When we went back into the kitchen, the cheesy sauce I had made for the top of the chicken rolls had turned GREEN! The girls could not believe it! Now we knew the leprechaun was still in the house! Apparently the broccoli I had made to represent our Irish green was not good enough. That sneaky little guy just had to play a trick on us!

After the girls discovered the green, cheesy sauce tasted just like my yellow, cheesy sauce, they gobbled it up!

Well... almost! Maryn took an hour to eat dinner because she would NOT STOP talking about leprechauns! How high can they jump? Why do they have red hair? Where are they from? How big are they? Do they have little pinches, since they have little fingers? How does their magic that turns things green work? Why do they like to play tricks? How come they're so fast? And on and on and on! We decided if Daddy HAD seen a leprechaun in the basement, it was likely that it snuck into Uncle Kevin's suitcase the last time he was in Dublin and hitched a ride to the States. That was the only way Maryn could figure why there would be a leprechaun in GEORGIA! While Maryn continued to chew at a snails pace, Brynna helped me clear the table. When Maryn finally finished, I had her clear the placemats. As she was doing so, something fell to the floor...

What was this? Brynna picked it up and Daddy read it...


The girls squealed and were off! The clues sent them all over the house in search of O'Malley the Leprechaun's stash of gold!




Finally it led them into Justin's and my bedroom, where they quickly cased the room before finding the jackpot!

It was hiding under the bed! Maryn said that was the perfect hiding place for a leprechaun, since they're so little.

Daddy read it to them...

...and this is what it said!


The kids loved it!
(No we're not mailing Maryn. She got that sticker at the Post Office earlier in the day!)

After the thrill of the hunt, we decide to take it easy and eat some Rice Krispy Treats I had made earlier in the day for Family Home Evening. It was then that we discovered O'Malley had one more practical joke to play on us before he left to go back to the other end of the rainbow!



We hope all of you had a fun and mischievous St. Pattie's Day too!

Lots of Love!
Justin, Sarah, Maryn, and Brynna

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are the cutest parents...What a fun day you made for the girls!!!

Anonymous said...

You two are the cutest parents...What a fun day you made for the girls!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of someone doing cute, fun things for St. Patties day. I think I have defiantly got to give that mother of the year award back to you! You two are so fun and creative to make such a weird holiday so special for your two cute little monkeys.

Erica said...

You are so creative! Could you mail me some of your creativity and energy??? My kid didn't even wear green today! You guys are so cute!

Melysa said...

Oh how fun! I agree with Laura, you get the mother of the year award. We had green on...

Traveling Mama said...

How fun! It looks like the girls had an absolute blast! And what a way to get them to eat their broccoli!

Cathleen said...

What a fun day and great memory for your girls.
We didn't have any little pranking visitors at our house, but apparently they visited the elementary here and were quite busy all day. Good times!

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

You guys are great! The girls are lucky to have such fun parents!!

Leah said...

O.K. so that was so cute, fun and creative. What a truly fun and special day for your girls.

Barb McLean said...

I am still laughung at the card you gave Justin! What a fun day you all had!

eric and girls said...

It looks like you all had a fun day.

Renee said...

If I get to vote, I vote you for Mother of the Year. I have never known anyone to do such fun things on St. Patties Day. I am going to have to try this next year. Very creative.

Marcelina Moreno said...

I want you to be my mom too!! You rock. When are you do so I can get to work on the sign and also send me your address so I can mail it to you and don't worry i really will mail it.

Marcelina Moreno said...

I can't believe I just put do and not DUE!!! I am a loser! How on earth was I editor of the chant??

Lindsey said...

What an awesome idea! I totally may have to steal that and do it next year. I felt so bad. . .I totally didn't even remember that it was St. Patrick's Day. It wasn't until I was in the doctors office and everyone had green on that I remembered - Addie has strep throat - so much for celebrating!

Erin Lemons said...

SaraH That looked like it was tons of fun. I love all the pictures of the girls and all. . . but what I really want to see are some pics of you, woody, all pregers. ;)

Kelli said...

What a fun house! They will remember that stuff forever, what a very good mommy and daddy.