When the girls had their slumber party at their Grammy's last weekend, Justin and I were reflecting over our morning paper and bagels and orange juice. It was so wonderful having quiet time to wake up and leisurely stay in bed until we were ready to get out. To quietly read the paper and eat breakfast without being interrupted or having demands being made on us. To get dressed without wondering what was being destroyed in the next room. I thought to myself, this is really nice, BUT... I was sadly reminded that so many people from my generation choose this life not as just a treat, but a lifestyle. It was all about Justin and I that day and it was wonderful. But it seems to me that so many people my age are afraid of giving up their own time and convenience. Of making that big step to it not being all about them.
I look back over the past five years, to when I was still pregnant with Maryn. I really had no idea as that naive, big-bellied, 22 year old girl, exactly how much being a parent would change my life. It has changed my life in ways too many to count. For the past five years since Maryn and Brynna and now soon to be Lauryn have come into my life, I have sacrificed my body, my sleep, my comfort, and my sanity. I have been humbled and humiliated and had to come to grips with every weakness I possess. But, I can honestly say I would not trade a single minute of it. Not for all the leisurely Sunday mornings in the world. Not for having money for myself rather than it going to my my kids. Not for a great career or that Education I wish I could have finished. Not for anything. I am so grateful to be a Mom. The thought of my kids brings tears to my eyes and I know that this is what I was put on this Earth to do.
I can honestly say, there is no pet so wonderful, no career so rewarding, no lifestyle so carefree that I would trade it for the experience of being a parent. I have heard my children's little voices say "I love you Mommy!" or "I love my family!" and know that they really, in their pure hearts, mean it. I have been filled with peace and love as I watched their little chests rise and fall while watching them dream. I have marked their height as they have grown and with every inch seen them learn new things and come into their own personalities more and more. I have seen their smiles and experienced that strange and wonderful thing it does to your heart, that really only a parent can understand. My children, while not making my life any easier or convenient, have brought me a joy greater beyond any measure. And for that, I am grateful.
5 comments:
Sarah I know exactly what you mean. When I tell people I am a stay at home mom they say it must be so nice to sit at home all day. That isn't even close to what I do on a daily basis. I too would not trade anything. I love being a mom
You said it perfectly. I always say that being a mom is the absolute hardest thing I would never trade - there are moments - but looking back I have even loved those.
Amen, sista! I have a very good friend that has been married for almost 15 years and her husband decided he just simply did not want children. She's all tanned and fit and seems to always be on some great adventure and yet I feel so sad for her because she has so much and yet has no idea what she is missing out on. I cannot remember a day in my life when I didn't want to be a wife and a mom and even though there have been some challenging moments along the way, it has far exceeded my greatest expectations!
I couldn't agree more, and I have been on both sides of the fence since I got married a little older than some. I had time to shop and travel and now I'm a mom and I can honestly say this is so much more rewarding than buying a new pair of Steve Madden high heels or staying out late with girlfriends to find hot men. ha! :)
I can never understand when people (referring to stay-at-home moms) say how bored they would be. How can you be bored? And I agree with everything said. Even before I had kids, my thoughts were: What is the point to having anything - money, nice house, toys like boats, opportunities to travel, etc. if you don't have a family, especially children, to share them with? I would find an existence like that so empty.
Post a Comment