I think her hoo-ha just fell out of this skirt.
This was directly followed by an ad for the new 'Totally Stylin' Tattoo Barbie'. Gag me folks. A tatted up Barbie complete with extra tube top and mini skirt isn't exactly what I call an inspiration to girls of all ages. I'm fully aware that Barbie's schtick is that she's always changing to stay with the current trends. But let's be real, I'm not a big fan of current trends. Justin and I were laughing wondering what kind of awful Barbie they would conjure up next, 'Binge Drinking Barbie', 'Campus Slut Barbie', 'Full Body Piercing Barbie', 'I Kissed a Girl Barbie'. C'mon.
I wouldn't let my five year old look a Victoria's Secret catalog for some leisurely reading. But I'm supposed to let her play with this?
I'm stickin' with my Nana on this one. I'm gonna get on my soapbox and insist that we allow our daughters to be little girls! Imagine that! To have a childhood free of obsession over trying to be grown up before their time. Where there is innocence and wonder, and when they daydream and play, it will to be someone who makes a difference far beyond a fashion statement. A teacher, a nurturer, a doctor, a scientist, a musician, or perhaps the one closest to my heart, a mother. Someone who truly deserves to be called 'an inspiration to girls of all ages.'
10 comments:
Hi Sarah....let me first explain how I ended up on your blog. I am friends with Angie Donham Miller, who is friends with Kristen Birkmeyer, who is of course your sister in law. Anyway, I saw this post and I just had to tell you thank you, and I am so glad I am not the only one who won't buy Barbies for her daughter! (My daughter Emily was born 2 days after Lauryn, on July 4th.) Growing up, my Mom never bought me Barbies and explained it in a very similar way your Nana did, and I kept thinking, when I grow up and have my kids, I am going to buy a houseful of them! Well....not so much! The other day I was shopping for a Barbie for my niece, and could not even find one I wasn't totally disgusted with. Of course, there's Bratz....not sure which one is better......HORRIBLE!! I am so glad there are Moms out there who let their kids be kids and don't give in to "everyone's doing it"....good luck to us all! And, on a separate note, you have a beautiful family!! :)
amen sister. as a kid i can say that i wasn't obsessed with my body & just looked at barbie as a doll. but i liked cabbage patch kids better! and don't even look into the bratz dolls. you'll have a heart attack. :)
sarah, i always love your perspective!
I agree! It pains me that Megan wants to play Barbies because the clothes aren't really clothes. I can't find decent outfits for them. It's pretty sad when she says, "Hey mom, I can't get this string on her arm."
I also played with Barbie dolls when I was a little girl, mostly to play with and style their hair, but they truly have gone way too far with the whole image thing. I cringe everytime I see the tattoo Barbie commercial on T.V. It's horrible!
Unfortunately we have some barbies, but nothing like I use to have! I have not bought them in a few years though and they reallyt don;t get played with. I tel Sydney if I find a naked barbie it is garbage! Mostly we just have the Hannah Montana dolls...still yuck! What really disgusts me is those brat dolls! The feet come off! and their faces are so huge with Angelina Jolie lips! Seriously!! I prefer the baby dolls too!
Justin must not have told you that he would steal kristens barbies and secretly play with them in his room....
I agree with you! They are starting to look like that horrible toy- Bratz. I hate those!
That is so funny--I love it when you got going like that! So Athens huh? Do tell......I need to know so I can start planning with steve and Nigel!
I hear ya! I am so glad that Eve is not so into Barbies- she does have mostly Disney princesses though. I have made a rule about the Barbie issue and that if they have an outfit on that I wouldn't let Eve wear than no barbie!!! I also have not let Bratz dolls in the house or for her either. I was shocked when my MOM bought her one for her 5th Bday and we returned it and Eve somehow let her know- oh,well! I have to set my standards.
Post a Comment