Wednesday, March 18, 2009

O'Malley's Return!

Last year on St. Patrick's Day our family received a visit from a little leprechaun, O'Malley. There has been some discussion all year long as to whether or not O'Malley would come back to our house this year. Knowing O'Malley loves green, the girls and I decided to make him some green M&M cookies, hoping that would lure him in. By dinner time though, we hadn't seen him and the cookies sat untouched on the kitchen table. Since my busy, working-momma self had failed to adequately plan a festive St. Patty's Day meal we decided to pile in the car and head to O'Charley's to share some little burgers and fries.
By the time we got home the kids were getting pretty tired and we were wondering if we had missed O'Malley by going out to dinner. But as soon as we walked through the front door, Maryn saw a note on the stairs! O'Malley had returned! As Maryn passed the plate of cookies we had left for him on the way to the deck, we noticed it looked like a little, leprechaun mouth had been nibbling on it! He couldn't have gone too far! The girls followed his clues all over the house until they discovered the treasure he had left hidden in a corner in Lauryn's closet! Chocolate gold coins and another note! This one said (Lauryn chewed up the original!)...


AH, YOU FOUND ME SPECIAL GOLD! I HOPE IT TASTES GOOD!

BRUSH WHEN YOU'RE DONE, LIKE GOOD LASSES SHOULD!

NOW GO TO THE KITCHEN, AND GO THERE QUICK!

LOOK ON THE TABLE AND YOU'LL SEE ME TRICK!


What was he talking about? The girls were nervous now. What kind of trick was he going to play on us? We all cautiously headed downstairs to the kitchen table and this is what we found!

We had no idea how he could have done that so quick! We had only been upstairs a few minutes! The girls decided that with O'Malley's leprechaun magic, all he had to do was point at the cookies and they would turn green! Daddy picked up the cookie O'Malley had been nibbling on and started eating it. Brynna got really nervous and said "Dad, O'Malley was eating that one. Are you going to turn green now?!" Maryn quickly told her that leprechauns in fact do not have any germs and that Daddy would be just fine sharing O'Malley's cookie. Brynna was still a little cautious and wanted to know if O'Malley was still around, would he play any more tricks? She protectively held onto Coco and said "I don't want him to turn my monkey green! I just like him brown!" I explained that I thought O'Malley had left already, and besides he only played nice tricks. I told her that he was probably already on the other end of the rainbow by now. She asked "How?" Maryn then added "Well Brynna, he is magic. So he probably held up his hand and a rainbow shot out that had a little seat on it. So he sat down and buckled up and rode the little seat like, you know, how you ride a roller coaster, all the way to the end of the rainbow!" That satisfied Brynna just fine and they proceeded to eat their green treats. It was a lot of fun and I love hearing some of the things the girls come up with when O'Malley comes a visiting! We hope that all of you also had a very fun and very magical St. Patrick's Day too!

10 comments:

Barb McLean said...

You guys have the funnest St. Paddy's traditions! O' Malley is a hit!

Anonymous said...

I love the fun you make for the kids on Holidays!! No wonder Maryn likes them so much!! You guys are awesome parents..Love you both for that!!! Thanks for helping make the weekend with Adam and Amanda so much fun! So much more fun times ahead for us all!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That dang O'Malley! He is a one of a kind And his little buddy Sneaky O' Cat is right up there! You are the cutest parents ever. Hope you had a great time at O'Charlie's! And thanks for making our St. Patrick's days so much fun also!!! Your the BEST!!!

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Fun times!! That was cute that Brynna was so concerned for her daddy turning green. And yum-o, those cookies sure did look tastey!!!

Kristine said...

Once again Sarah turns on her creative magic.. it looked like a ton of fun! I didn't make a post about our St. Patty's Day.. I was mother of the year and forgot about it and sent Cole to school with no green on.. oops :( I like your family's celebration better than ours!

KatSpy said...

Tooooooo FUn! Can I come live at the Young's? I wondered what creative things you were going to be doing for St. Pat's day...You've earned Mother of the year.

Tracy E said...

So cute. We love the Irish too. Does your anscestry go back there?

Kelli said...

So so so very cute!

hilla said...

Well that is impressive for a non-working mother, let alone a full timer! And here you are feeling guilty for not having dinner prepared! So cute, great ideas!

Kevin said...

I called you guys the other night to talk to Maryn!! I got her Happy St. Paddy's day greetings in the mail. Even entitled to Uncle 'Kevie'! Seriously, how cute was that? Tell Maryn that Uncle Kevie trying to track her down!!!