Monday, March 30, 2009

NO SMOKING!!!!

I had a moment of near insanity today. I can keep my cool about many things, with a few exceptions. Today I came face to face with one of them. I was on my way to Costco with Justin, Brynna and Lauryn after I got off of work. We pulled up to a stoplight and in front of us was an itty-bitty, two-door car jam-packed with three adults, a preschooler and a small baby wedged in the middle. All the adults were distracted talking on cell phones and this and that. Justin said "Huh, that looks safe." But then I saw one of the few things that absolutely makes my blood BOIL! All three adults in this itty-bitty car lit up and were smoking mere inches from these poor kids faces. It took everything in me not to lay on the horn, get out, go rip open their door and tear their cancer sticks from their nicotine scented fingers and rip them a new one. How stupid and selfish do you have to be to do that? You can't wait until you get to your destination and away from the kids before you light up and indulge in the destruction of your own health?! I was fuming... and still am actually. With everything we know about how dangerous secondhand smoke is, especially for children, how is it not illegal to smoke in an enclosed space with small children?! Everyone and everything these days has some sort of rights, it seems. Heck, there was an uproar about the mussels downstream in Florida when we were in a drought last year. How humans couldn't get the water because the mussels needed it. Mussels have rights. But kids with idiot parents...apparently they're out of luck.

7 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Sometimes I curse California for it's seemingly-progressive yet bass-ackwards political and social mandates. However, on this front, it is currently and newly illegal to smoke in a vehicle when children are present in this sometimes-great state of Cal-i-fornia. We get some things right!

Melysa said...

I am right there with you! I give people the stink eye when they light up right by the door going into stores. Um... excuse me, but if I wanted to inhale smoke, I would do it on my own. I don't need your crap, thank you very much!

Swangerlings said...

I agree with you 100%! It is an outrage of enormous proportion.

Kelli said...

Poor kids! I was walking into a Target one day, and there was a woman carrying a very wee baby in a baby sling, facing her chest. And the woman was SMOKING. Basically just blowing right into the baby's face. I have never been so horrified. I just... ugh... no words.

Tracy E said...

You go Sarah! I totally agree here!

Jen Nagel said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I'll also add yelling profanities at children in public places (and even at home I would guess) and not putting them in the appropriate safetly restraints in vehicles. Blood boils to say the least.

Jill said...

Washington recently passed a law where you can no longer smoke inside of any building! YAY! You must be 25 feet from any door. But, in that same happiness, idiots still blow smoke in their kids faces every day. We wonder why these kids are so sick all the time!