Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Series: Prayer

I am so grateful for the knowledge, that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me. Who sincerely cares and is concerned for my welfare. How do I know this? Through the power of prayer. I will never forget the day when I truly came to a knowledge of that for myself. It was August 4th, 1995. I had had faith my whole life that God was real. But I wanted to know if He was aware of me, specifically, as an individual. So three days before my fifteenth birthday, I knelt down in my bedroom and in humble prayer and asked the Lord if He heard me. Within moments I received my answer. I was so overcome with love and with peace, I could hardly contain it. I wrote in my journal in red ink what I had experienced. It said "I KNOW SOMEONE IS LISTENING WHEN I PRAY. GOD LET ME KNOW HE IS LISTENING AND HE LOVES ME. IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL FEELING. I LOVE HIM DEARLY." Simple words, but also true words. There were not fireworks or the voice of God himself speaking to me. But rather the most affirming feeling of love and warmth I had ever experienced in my life. It started right in the middle of my chest and spread through out my whole body like a light in the darkness. My knowledge of God's love for me is truth that I will never deny. And it began with a humble prayer. Mighty changes can be brought about in one's life by falling to your knees and seeking the Lord in prayer. He is there, waiting. There is not a single person on this Earth whom He doesn't want to comfort and lift up. Whom He doesn't want to help guide and direct. Through the power of prayer we have access to a greater source of strength than we can ever imagine. Call on it. If you too have found yourself wondering if God is aware of you, find a quiet moment and with sincere faith ask Him. I know that the same warmth and love I felt fourteen years ago will enter into your heart as well. And you will know that you are His child, of whom He could never forget.

3 comments:

Barb McLean said...

Thank you for such a beautiful reminder. Especially today (Sabbath) I find myself closest to my Father in Heaven when I can just pour out my heart in gratitude for all he has given me. While I am doing that fears or anxieties I have seem to melt away and seem insignificant. I become renewed and able to cope with the challengesn life throws at me. Today my prayers will be filled with gratitude for a daughter that is often my teacher.

Sarah Young said...

I love you Momma.

kidding...right? said...

Sarah, You are so awesome! I'm so impressed that you did that at 15 years old!! Your posts always inspire me to be better!