Monday, February 9, 2009

Back To My Roots!

We'll be poppin' out a lot of little boogers like this impacted wisdom tooth.... and hopefully also some cooler stuff!

My first job out of Dental Assisting school, eleven years ago, was for a Periodontist (gums). The first time I observed a surgery I got that pins and needles sensation all over my whole body and felt the blood drain from my face... uhhh, that's a lot of blood. But once I got in assisting and had a job to do, I found I really liked the challenge. We did all sorts of surgical goodies, dental implants, bone grafting and free gingival grafting to name a few. Not that it means anything to any of you besides a lot of weird dental words (except for maybe my brother, Dr. Steve). The coolest thing we did was peel this guys face back over his chin and harvested some of the bone from his chin and reconstructed his alveolar ridge with it. I was just amazed at what the human body and modern technology together could accomplish. I did Perio for a year and liked it, but hated the guy I worked for and so I moved on to Endodontics (root canals). We would do the occasional retrofill on a stubborn and calcified canal once in awhile, which would keep that surgical part of my brain alive. But then when Justin and I moved to Georgia, I got started with Pedodontics (kids) and Orthodontics (everyone knows that!) and stuck with it. I've loved my time focused on those specialties and really thought if I ever went back to work, I could be totally happy sticking with Pedo or Ortho.

Today however, I scored a part-time gig, really close to my house going back to my surgical roots (haha, get it, roots... like on your teeth... oh never mind!) I'll be working in the mornings for an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon. The hours are perfect for being a mom, 8:00-12:00, four days a week. I'll be done by the time Brynna gets home from preschool. I'm excited for this new challenge. It's going to be nice to sweep the cobwebs out of my brain and still get to come home and do what I love best... being a MOM!

13 comments:

KatSpy said...

Will you get rid of my mean toris?

KatSpy said...

Actually, they're torus.....;o)

Erica said...

Oh, congrats! What a perfect part time opportunity. And like everything else you touch, you'll do great. Good luck!

Justin Young said...

i will continue to sell meth to school kids out of our basement.

eric and girls said...

Congrats Sarah that sounds fun. Well for you, I love blood and guts but the mouth just grosses me out.

Jill said...

I worked for a peds dentist inhighschool and loved it. Then Iworked for an endo and loved it! Although I was not an assistant, I did all the sterilization. They started to train me and I even came back after I had Sydney and did a few days while a gal was on vacation! I almost passed out!! I helped extract a tootht and was totally fine the whole time, dismissed the patient and then I remembered the noises of that tooth chipping waway and had to go outside for almost a half hour and try not to puke! I have not been back since!! haha

Melysa said...

YAY! I'm so glad you got the job! And I'm so glad that it's something that you love to do. That makes it all the better!

Kelli said...

Oh, good for you! That will be fun for you, and then just comforting to have that backup. Justin - good to know I have a source if mine dries up.

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Congrats girl!

Swangerlings said...

That is awesome, CONGRATS!!

McBairdFamily said...

Congrats Sarah! Working 8-12 has worked out great for me/us! Best of luck to you and to your little dope dealer in his pursuit of a side job!

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

Congratulations Sarah! That didn't take long for you to get the job :) That will be a great learning experience.. and fabulous hours! Wooohooo!

Jen Nagel said...

Congrats! I would love a part-time gig right about now.