Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Couple of Crazy Kids

Ten years ago this morning Justin and I told our parents we were getting married. I'll never forget the pink heart shaped pancakes at the breakfast table that Jody had made. We sat down and Justin's whole family was staring at us. "Well...." Justin said. "Well what!" Jody said impatiently "Wells are where water comes from, what do you have to say!" Then we called my parents, my Dad was in the shower. My Mom told him "Mark, Sarah and Justin are on the phone and they want to talk to us both." Pause....then Dad says "You got to be sh**ing me." Papa Bear wasn't so exuberant. We'd really only been around each other for three days before deciding to spend the rest of our lives together. Now looking back from the outside looking in, it was crazy, it was stupid, it was sudden... but it worked. We felt with our hearts and not with our heads. The past decade has given us the creation of our family. Our own branch of the Young-McLean tree. It's given us experience and more maturity. It's given us our beautiful daughters. And it's given us the reassurance that while it was completely crazy, ten years ago today the choice a couple of crazy kids made has grown into a love better than anything either of us could have ever imagined.

6 comments:

Traveling Mama said...

So funny and sweet too! Since we have similar stories... who'd have thought we'd both get hitched so young?? But, I'm with you. When you know, you just know. May God bless you with many more decades! I hope I get to watch you turn into a real "Gladys!" (Please don't post THOSE old lady acts!) Tee Hee! There are some things we could NEVER live down! LOL!

Swangerlings said...

I totally know what you mean! I think your wording is so perfect. It was so easy and carefree back then, you went on pure heart.lol I really enjoy keeping up with your family blog. I hope you all are doing good and your new job is fun.

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

haha!! I'm loving the old pictures. And wow, I can't believe it was ten years ago. I'm sure you can't either! Congratulations you guys on making it this far and having a beautiful family!!!

Hayley said...

that's great - "you got to be sh*ting me" - i love it. i think that at whatever age, when you know - you know. i was 29, but it happened quick. and i can't wait to look back in 10 years & think about how young i looked. please, at almost 40, i hope that 30 looks young!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I totally remember when you went to see Justin those 10 years ago and came back with that amazing news!

Jill said...

Love your dress...I had the same one! I wore it when we went to the temple and when we left for our hotel after our wedding! haha! Loved that dress, wish I still had it in the size it use to be!!